Altova Mailing List Archives

RE: multiple encoding specs (Re: IE5.0 does not conform to RFC2376)

From: "Gavin Thomas Nicol" <gtn@---.----.--->
To: <xml-dev@--.--.-->
Date: 4/7/1999 7:52:00 PM
>  >An alternative method for achieving the same result is to use a filter
> >(this can be done in Apache and in Jigsaw) which automatically emits the
> >correct charset parameter based on reading the encoding declaration in
> >the XML instance.
>
> I think this is the approach that, ultimately, we all are
> hoping will be deployed.

I'm not keen on this approach, but it would be a step in the right
direction. I have some servlets for doing this, and for also handling
the *.mim type.

I still dislike the encoding information in the PI.... as you noted
there are 3 levels at which mistakes can be made, and the PI means
that you might have to "fix" the document in the face of transcoding.

xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers. To post, mailto:xml-dev@i...
To (un)subscribe, mailto:majordomo@i... the following message;
(un)subscribe xml-dev
To subscribe to the digests, mailto:majordomo@i... the following message;