Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: IE5.0 does not conform to RFC2376

From: David Brownell <db@---.---.--->
To: xml-dev@--.--.--
Date: 4/11/1999 9:27:00 PM
MURATA Makoto wrote:

> Chris Lilley wrote:
> >
> > Well, if a US-based group recommends US-ASCII that should not really be
> > a surprise ;-) However, while US-ASCII is compatible with UTF-8 it is
> > not the same; and it is not compatible with UTF-16. So, it is a very odd
> > choice for a default.
>
> IETF I18N guideline documents (RFC 2277 and RFC2130) recommend UTF-8 as the
> default.  When the WWW was invented, 8559-1 was the default.  US-ASCII is
> the intersection of the two.

US-ASCII is also what MIME has always specified, even before HTTP
was specified to use its variant of MIME.  Being an intersection is
convenient; but it's also been the standard.

The IETF recommented no more (or less) than compatibility with the
existing standards.  I'd expect any standards body to do that, even
one with the substantial international participation of the IETF!

- Dave

xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers. To post, mailto:xml-dev@i...
To (un)subscribe, mailto:majordomo@i... the following message;
(un)subscribe xml-dev