Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: Component Markup Language

From: Robb Shecter <shecter@---------.---.-->
To: "Paul R. Brown" <prb@---.--->
Date: 2/4/1999 3:40:00 PM
"Paul R. Brown" wrote:

> >Has anyone thought about or worked on an markup language to describe a
> >User Interface in a platform independent way?
>
> It's not a markup language (or a subset of SGML), but python does a
> reasonably good job of providing platform-independent UI.

Hi,

Yes, that's definitely something else that I'm checking out: Several
languages have abstracted ui widgets and interactions in platform
independent ways: Java, Smalltalk, Python and tcl/tk come to mind.  I can
imagine using one of these either directly, or more likely, basing an XML
language on a model that one of these languages have developed.  For
example, a piece of XML that uses the Java-style interaction model could
look like:

<UI>
    <BasicWidget id="1" x="100" y="100" height="50" width="50"
type="TextEntryField">
       <KeyPressListener name="2">
       <KeyPressListener name="3">
       <KeyPressListener name="4">