Altova Mailing List Archives

Deployability of XMLised HTML - authoritative survey?

From: Dan Brickley <Daniel.Brickley@-------.--.-->
To: xml-dev@--.--.--
Date: 10/6/1998 7:25:00 PM
Hi

I understand from anecdotal reports and my own experiments that it is
possible to get most (recent?) browsers to sensibly interpret and render
well formed XML that "looks a lot like" HTML. With much of HTML, this is
just a matter of matching case and closing </LI> etc. The treatment of
HTML's <HR> and <BR> as <HR /> and <BR /> is, it seems, workable.

I'd very much like to hear that these anecdotes are true, and that
someone somewhere has undertaken a more comprehensive survey of browser
behaviour. I guess something like this must be going on in the
HTML-futures area -- if so a URL pointer would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for any references,

Dan

ps. reason I'm asking is that it would be nice (in various contexts) to
be able to have a namespace URI dereference to something that contains
both human-readable and browser displayable (X)HTML but that also
contained machine oriented definitions. Content-negotiation would
be another approach but might complicate cacheability of the
delivered document... (?http cacheing experts please correct me on this)

xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers. To post, mailto:xml-dev@i...
To (un)subscribe, mailto:majordomo@i... the following message;
(un)subscribe xml-dev
To subscribe to the digests, mailto:majordomo@i... the following message;