Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: Whitespace in EMPTY model

From: Chris Maden <crism@-------.--->
To: xml-dev@--.--.--
Date: 10/20/1998 10:09:00 PM
[Dean Roddey]
> If the model is EMPTY, what happens to the whitespace between that
> element's begin/end tags? Is that defined anywhere? Should it always
> just be skipped?  What if the element has the XML whitespace
> attribute or the parser was told to maintain ignorable whitespace?

That's a good question.

I was ready to reply that an EMPTY element must have nothing between
the start- and end-tags, but that's not immediately clear upon reading
the spec.

   Validity Constraint: Element Valid

   An element is valid if there is a declaration matching elementdecl
   where the Name matches the element type, and one of the following
   holds:
    1. The declaration matches EMPTY and the element has no content.

but it's not clear whether "no content" prohibits ignorable
whitespace.

-Chris

xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers. To post, mailto:xml-dev@i...
To (un)subscribe, mailto:majordomo@i... the following message;