Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: Do you understand XML namespaces?

From: Peter Murray-Rust <peter@-----.-----.--.-->
To: xml-dev@--.--.--
Date: 8/4/1998 1:28:00 PM
At 21:58 03/08/98 +0200, Patrice Bonhomme wrote:

>colds@n... said:
>]  http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xml-names was updated yesterday (August 2nd).
>
>Just one thing to say : GASP !!!

I hope this is a gasp of excitement.

>WD-xml-names-19980802 said:
>] The namespace prefix, unless it is xml or xmlns, must have been
>] declared in a namespace declaration.
>
>Hum !!! And what about the following example (15 lines after within the WD) :

>...strange. The XML NS for html is declared after <html:html...
>
>Pat.

I think there will be a number of things that XML-DEVers will find
'strange'. I suggest that (a) you take time to read and re-read the draft
and try to work out a few examples

(b) if, after careful re-reading,  you feel something is unclearly (or
incorrectly) drafted, mail xml-names-issues@w... [1]. The use of 'after'
in your query suggest that you have interpreted the draft differently from
the editors and that possibly some re-wording could help. Since your
concern is including in this mail - copied to xml-names-issues - you
needn't resend it :-)

(c) if you feel the design of the draft is wrong/unworkable on minor points
again mail the editorial team.

(d) if you wish to be any early implementer of the draft please make
[modular] suggestions on this list. I suspect we shall benefit from
separating out the various issues in the draft rather than trying to come
up with a monolithic solution.

	P.

[1] I am assuming this is a simple e-mail rather than a subscribed list. If
not, could precise details be given [otherwise you may be sent may
'subscribe' messages]. Are the contents of these mails public? Otherwise
you may get many hundred  similar messages? I have copied this message to
xml-names-issues to see what happens - please forgive the crossposting.

	P.

net connection
http://www.venus.co.uk/vhg

xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers. To post, mailto:xml-dev@i...