Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: Is XML getting too hard?

From: Peter Murray-Rust <peter@-----.-----.--.-->
To: xml-dev@--.--.--
Date: 8/19/1998 1:49:00 PM
At 10:25 19/08/98 +1000, James Robertson wrote:
[...]
>I apologise in advance for the low information content of
>this message. It's just that I've been lurking on this list
>for a while now, while keeping busy implementing practical
>SGML solutions ... and I think I've reached the "straw that
>broke the camel's back".

Don't feel the need to apologise. So long as something constructive arises
that is all that XML-DEV cares about.

[...]
>Instead, lets pour all our efforts into releasing XML-aware
>software. Make it a standard first before aiming for the
>moon ...

I have great sympathy with this. There is no doubt that multiple
independent variant semi-conforming parallel semi-implementations of all
these specs would kill XML. In practice I think we have to:
	- have implementations of XML that are either FEW or completely
interchangeable. The latter is critically dependent on public activity and
involves APIs, freeware, portable s/w (i.e. not platform-specific),
examples and tutorials.
	- develop in a modular fashion, use layering, develop APIs.
	- do nothing that isn't necessary.
	- get some simple tools out to prove the XML concept. Editing and browsing
are clearly key.

I personally share this feeling of being overwhelmed, but postings like
James Clark's today [early free releases of XSL and WD] may just about work
for me. But I have had 2-3 years to learn XML and I spend a lot of time on
it...

	P.

net connection
http://www.venus.co.uk/vhg