Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: Parents and children (was RFD: comp.text.xml)

From: len bullard <cbullard@------.--->
To: Paul Prescod <papresco@------------.--->
Date: 5/7/1998 1:10:00 AM
Paul Prescod wrote:

> It wasn't so long ago that we were having a similarly pessimistic
> conversation about web standards (at that time, HTML and CSS) and you
> admitted that despite all of the setbacks, it was a good time for
> hypertext. That is more true today than ever. XML may still be due for a
> backlash, but lights are going on in people's heads all over the place. As
> long as the pattern is two steps forward, one step back, we are still
> making progress.
> </PHILOSOPHICAL>

Yes. We have more toys, better toys and
some pretty neat content.  I am looking forward to playing
with SMIL a la RealMedia and VRML.  So, will I use XML?
You bet.  After using HTML so much, I hope i can still
remember how to use another DTD. ;-)

Just to be schizophrenic, on the VRML list I have argued
for XML and the use of RealMedia streaming technology.  It
isn't inconsistent.  RealMedia offers us working streaming
now when we need it.  RA provides a broadcast format; the
archival format is still wav, etc., so my lifecycle/standards
needs are met and my performance/runningCode needs are met.
With the content hat on, I am very pleased.  Two weeks ago,
the world's first virtual theatre production was broadcast.
That is something I've been waiting for for a LONNNNG time.
Cool.

Standards are nice to have.  Running code is nice to have.
We just have to keep both priorities up front and keep talking
openly.  That way, we measure and meet all of our needs.
The game is a long one.  Play to that.

Simon:  Beers together sometime.  Even if the arguments look
fierce, at the end of the day, beers together.  After awhile
one finds it is like being in bands and that once one has
done it long enough, other musicians are the best company
after 2AM even if before 2AM you were cutting heads.

len

xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers. To post, mailto:xml-dev@i...
To (un)subscribe, mailto:majordomo@i... the following message;
(un)subscribe xml-dev