Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: SDATA or UNICODE

From: "Rick Jelliffe" <ricko@-------.---.-->
Date: 1/28/1998 12:21:00 PM
> From: Arjan Loeffen <Arjan.Loeffen@l...>

> So, in my opinion, following the replies to my earlier question, I think XML
> should start to support SDATA (as in SGML) and a way of allowing a system to
> determine what character the replacement text represents (which is 'covered' by
> public character sets in SGML).

Does anyone know what cunning plans the W3C font service people are up to?
>From my glance they seem to be looking for a way to distribute (= sell?)
fonts over the web, while we are looking at how to get a single glyph.
Anything XML does should fit in with them, I suppose.

Gavin Nicol started a group on this issue a little while back, but I think
it was derailed by more immediate issues.

Certainly I think a PI system that "shortrefs" user-defined characters
to Xpointers that index into a font held remotely would be the best way.
Anyone like that idea?

Rick Jelliffe

xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers. To post, mailto:xml-dev@i...
To (un)subscribe, mailto:majordomo@i... the following message;