Altova Mailing List Archives

How to convert XML to flat file?

From: anywherenotes@-----.---
To: NULL
Date: 12/14/2007 9:10:00 AM
Hello All,

Is there a simple (to implement) way of converting XML file to a flat
file.

I would like to be able to convert something like this:
<first>
  <second name="hi">bye</second>
  first value
</first>

into something similar to:
/first/second/name=hi
/first/second=bye
/first=first value
/first/third/fourth=fourth value

The important thing is that I want to be able to convert any XML,
without knowing the elments/attributes into a flat file.
To do it in complex way I can use SAX to parse arguments, and push/pop
element names as they are being processed, and once I get to attribute/
element value, print out the current stack.  It's doable, but is there
an easy way to do something maybe using in XSL?

Thank you.
Alex