Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: Translate number to an alphabetic code

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <bjoern@---------.-->
To: NULL
Date: 2/19/2007 1:09:00 PM

* shurik wrote in microsoft.public.xsl:
>I need to translate numbers to alphabetic codes. I am generating an EXCEL
>workbook, and I need to generate excel cell references from cell numbers.
>For example 1 translates to A
>2 -> B
>..
>26 -> Z
>27 -> AA
>28 -> AB
>etc...
>
>For now I implemented the translation using helper variable containing array
>of leters:
><xsl:variable name="lettersTmp">
><r>A</r>
><r>B</r>
><r>AA</r>
><r>AB</r>
></xsl:variable>
><xsl:variable name="letters" selec="msxsl:node-set($lettersTmp)/r"/>
>Translation is performed as follows:
><xsl:value-of select="$letters[position() = $cellIndex]"/>
>
>I am using XsltCompiledTransform engine (XSLT 1.0).
>
>Just curious, is there more elegant\efficient solution?

An extension function (that you write in some programming language and
register with the XSLT processor) would be simpler, and you could also
make a recursive template that uses a simple table for a single char and
concats them together. Also note that instead of using a variable, you
can use something like

  <xsl:transform ...>
    <my:map>
      <my:r>A</my:r>
      <my:r>B</my:r>

which is then referenced using

  document('')/xsl:transform/my:map/my:r...

which makes using msxsl:node-set unncessary.
--
Björn Höhrmann · mailto:bjoern@h... · http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de