Altova Mailing List Archives

Adding fixed whitespace to XSLT text output?

From: "jhouk" <jhouk00@-------.--->
To: NULL
Date: 3/9/2005 5:10:00 PM
Hi all,

I'm a newbie to the XPATH/XSLT world, but I think there could be some
real value in scaling this learning curve in order to allow my group to
set up some source data that could be transformed in a variety of
different ways without having to write a new program every time we want
to build a new translation for the data.

Unfortunately, as a newbie I'm having some trouble with my first
transform, and digging around the books and web pages on XPATH/XSLT
I've found so far haven't helped much I'm afraid.

Here's the issue:  I want to take an element from an XML form and turn
the text of the element into a fixed-length string of, say, 20
characters.

I know I can use the xsl:value-of element to get the text of the XML
element I want, but I haven't had any luck finding out how to use XPATH
to create the proper string expression to pad the results of the
value-of operation with whitespace up to 20 characters.  Can anyone
help?

Thanks in advance!