Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: Windows Update and msxml3.dll Problems. Please help

From: "Sam Hobbs" <samuel@------.--.---_------_------_--_----->
To: NULL
Date: 2/23/2008 4:50:00 PM

"Ghost" <vogelbekdier@m...> wrote in message
news:a1a33f6a-250d-46f4-ae91-5f055def4539@t......

>> Upon visiting Windows Update or Microsoft Update I receive an error msg
>> that
>> states:
>>
>> Files required to use Microsoft Update are no longer registered or
>> installed
>> on your computer. To continue:
>> Register or reinstall the files for me now (Recommended)
>> Let me read about more steps that might be required to solve the problem
>>
>> So I click on Continue while using the Recommended setting, and after the
>> browser downloads and registers it's software automatically, it re-routes
>> the same webpage to register or reinstall the files.
>>
>> I have searched numerous help sites before posting on this newsgroup.
>> I was told to re-register msxml3.dll which fixes most problems. However I
>> was unable to register using "regsvr32 msxml3.dll" (without the quotes of
>> course) since I receive an error:
>> DllRegisterServer in msxml3.dll failed. Return code was: 0x80070005. This
>> happens whether I use it before or after the command: net stop wuauserv.
>>
>> I have searched and found nothing new regarding the above mentioned
>> error.
>> Every site suggests to re-register msxml3.dll. I am unable to do that.
>>
>> Another thing I've noticed is that when IE 6 re-routes me to the page
>> where
>> I have to register or reinstall files, it goes through a page that has
>> the
>> url with error number 2146827859. I have searched errors regarding this
>> for
>> Windows Update and found out that it refers to
>> 0x800A01AD -2146827859 ActiveX component can''t create object.
>> However this does not have the same Regsvr32 error code.
>>
>> I am running Windows 2000 SP4. I have managed to install all updates upto
>> month of October.
>>
>> Please help me figure out how to fix this problem without having to
>> reinstall anything.
>>

> Thanks for bringing me in the right direction, what helped for me was to
> unregister the msxml3.dll file and then reinstall the msxml3.msi and the
> MSXML3msms.exe from the microsoft site mentioned in this thread and it
> worked again.
>
> For people who doesnt know how to unregister the msxml3.dll file, follow
> this step:
>
> Go to Start and then Run and type in: regsvr32 /u msxml3.dll
> thats all and then start installing the two files.
>
> msxml3.msi
> MSXML3msms.exe

This is an old message but I hope my comments are helpful for people in the
future.

Recently Windows Update was unable to apply an update for XML and I had
difficulty finding a solution. I found something somewhere and I forget
whhere it is (probably a KB article) that said to uninstall all versions of
XML, then run a setup cleanup program, then re-install all versions of XML
that had previously been installed. It took time to do of course but ti
cleaned up things for me.