Altova Mailing List Archives

Building Excel XML in ASP Script - MSXML6 Error - Orders.xsl (0/1)

From: Eric F <emf@------.--->
To: NULL
Date: 5/12/2007 8:14:00 PM

I am trying to develop an ASP application that will accept data from
SQL Server and build an Excel 2003 XML file which will be opened by
the client's Excel via MIME. There's an MS KB article art 285891 that
pretty much describes what I need to do, and I have followed it
exactly. I have deployed the ASP and XSL files on my local IIS 5.0
website. Whenever I go to localhost/ExcelXML.asp, I get this error
message:

Error Type:
msxml6.dll (0x80004005)
The stylesheet does not contain a document element. The stylesheet may
be empty, or it may not be a well-formed XML document.
/ExcelXML.asp, line 30

Browser Type:
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322;
.NET CLR 2.0.50727)

I have attached the XSL file. Here's the ASP code (lifted pretty much
straight from MS):

<%@ Language="vbscript"%>

<%

    Const sConn = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data
Source=c:\program files\microsoft
office\office11\samples\Northwind.mdb"
    Const sXSL = "Orders.xsl"

    Response.Buffer = True

    'Retrieve an ADO recordset of the Orders Detail table in Northwind
    Dim rs, nRecords
    Set rs = CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
    rs.Open "SELECT * FROM [Order Details]", sConn, 3, 3

    'Persist the recordset to a new DOMDocument and store the record
count
    Dim oXML
    Set oXML = CreateObject("MSXML2.DOMDocument.6.0")
    rs.Save oXML, 1
    nRecords = rs.RecordCount
    rs.Close

    'Load the XSL (the workbook template with XSL directives) into a
DOMDocument
    Dim oXSL
    Set oXSL = CreateObject("MSXML2.DOMDocument.6.0")
    oXSL.Load sXSL

    'Transform the XML using the stylesheet
    Dim oResults
    Set oResults = CreateObject("MSXML2.DOMDocument.6.0")
    oXML.transformNodeToObject oXSL, oResults '***THIS IS WHERE THE
ERROR OCCURS********************

    If oXSL.parseError.errorCode <> 0 Then
       Response.Write "Parse Error: " & oResults.parseError.reason
    Else

       'Modify the ss:ExpandedRowCount attribute for the <table> node
in the XSL.
        Dim oTable
        Set oTable =
oResults.selectSingleNode("Workbook/Worksheet/Table")
        oTable.setAttribute "ss:ExpandedRowCount", nRecords + 2

        'Return the resulting XML Spreadsheet for display in Excel
        Response.Charset = "ISO-8859-1"
        Response.Write oResults.XML
        Response.Flush

    End If