Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: convert cobol to XML, have a supplied Schema

From: Peter Flynn <peter.nosp@-.--------.-->
To: NULL
Date: 4/16/2006 12:03:00 AM

mmitche4 wrote:
> We are a non-profit with few modern tools other than Win2000 server, XP, and
> VBScript, etc.
> I can use Cobol to pull my demographic data off to a CSV or text file. I
> then wish to
> convert it to XML. I have been given a Schema and XML examples, which I
> understand, but know not how to start. I have a little VBScript experience.
> This is for one data file only, and budget will not allow purchase of robust
> tools.

Use the tools that come with Cygwin and you'll have access to awk
and a bunch of other useful stuff. I use TSV rather than CSV.

Here's an awk command to turn a TAB-separated file into XML (not
comma-separated: this avoids any ambiguity with embedded commas,
assuming none of your data actually contain a TAB character):

awk -F"	" 'BEGIN {print "<?xml version=\"1.0\"?>\n<doc>"}                   {print "  <record>";                   for(i=1;i<=NF;++i)print "    <field" i ">"                      gensub("(^\"|\"$)","","G",$i)                      "</field" i ">";                   print "  </record>"}             END {print "</doc>"}' myfile.tsv >myfile.xml

Example:

a    "this one"    3.14159    fred
b    "another long field with lots of text in it"    4    mike

(that is actually TAB-separated but the TABs may not make it through
the network to you)

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<doc>
   <record>
     <field1>a</field1>
     <field2>this one</field2>
     <field3>3.14159</field3>
     <field4>fred</field4>
   </record>
   <record>
     <field1>b</field1>
     <field2>another long field with lots of text in it</field2>
     <field3>4</field3>
     <field4>mike</field4>
   </record>
</doc>

Once it's in XML, manipulation becomes much easier because it's now all
robustly addressable. From here on you can write an XSLT transformation
to put the values you want in the places and names that your Schema
requires.

///Peter
--
XML FAQ: http://xml.silmaril.ie/