Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: msxml 3.0 or 4.0

From: Martin Honnen <mahotrash@-----.-->
To: NULL
Date: 10/28/2005 1:29:00 PM

iwaan wrote:

> I little bit confused by parallel supporting by Microsoft 3.0 and 4.0
> version of msxml. In August 2005 they offer SP7 for 3.0 while latest
> service pack for 4.0 was at the beginning of 2004. And I don't know
> which version is better to choose as a base for my project. Previosly I
> assumed 4.0 is better, but now it seems they tend to support 3.0
> version and smoothly close 4.0 project. May anybody clear the situation
> for me?

If you (currently) want the fastest XSLT/XPath implementation and/or if
you want W3C XSD schema support then choose MSXML 4 instead of MSXML 3.
MSXML 3 is needed and used by IE (by IE 6 by default and if installed
additionally also by IE 5 and IE 5.5) to support XSLT 1.0 and XPath 1.0.
MSXML 4 is not backwards compatible to some features IE uses and thus it
is not meant as an replacement for MSXML 3 but rather as a separate
version with lack of some non standard features not many need any more
but improved performance and additional support for XSD schemas.

So it depends on what you need and whether you want to distribute an
MSXML version with your application perhaps, for instance if you know
any machines your application will be distributed to have IE 6 then you
know that MSXML 3 is installed and perhaps do not need to distribute
MSXML with your app if MSXML suffices for your needs.

See also
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/xmlsdk/html/04857975-1ddd-4beb-8b83-f561a82454f4.asp>
for more information about different features.

--

	Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/