Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: XML to HTML

From: "Jonathan Chong" <jonathan@----.--->
To: NULL
Date: 10/14/2004 10:49:00 AM
"Payal" <ppatel@f...> wrote in message
news:83aae981.0410131123.25790b36@p......
> Hi, I have a XML code that needs to be shown in HTML/ASP format
> without using XSL. Diffremt XML files will have diffrent number of
> nodes and I have to write one standard code to convert all xml data in
> HTML in tabular format.
>
> Is it possible to do? Any help is highly appriciated.
>
> -Payal

You need to use server side coding for parsing the XML data and format them
into HTML layout. This is sample code:

  Dim xmlObj
  set xmlObj = Server.CreateObject("Msxml2.DOMDocument.4.0")
  xmlObj.async = false
  IF xmlObj.load("d:\R_DSource\ddd.xml") = FALSE THEN
   Set xmlObj = nothing
   Response.Write "XML transformation failed."
   Response.end
  END IF

  set rootElement = xmlObj.documentElement

  Set objNodeList = rootElement.selectNodes("JobProperties")

  For i = 0 To (objNodeList.length - 1)
   Set objJobNumber = objNodeList.Item(i).selectNodes("JobNumber")
   JobNumber = objJobNumber.Item(0).Text
   Response.Write "JobNumber->" & JobNumber & "<BR>"
   Set objJobStartDate = objNodeList.Item(i).selectNodes("JobStartDate")
   JobStartDate = objJobStartDate.Item(0).Text
   Response.Write "JobStartDate->" & JobStartDate & "<BR>"

   Set objJobStartDate = nothing
   Set objJobNumber = nothing
  Next
  Set objNodeList = nothing

However, I would suggest you to use XSLT to transform the XML data at server
as it is much much powerful and faster then the method shown in sample code
above.