Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: xml encoding

From: "Julian F. Reschke" <julian.reschke@-----------------.-->
To: NULL
Date: 1/22/2004 10:54:00 AM
Neet wrote:

> Hi,
> The third party API that i am trying to integrate with requires that the xml file they send me and i read and send back matches with what they sent me. If viewed as a string the files are identical. The encoding i am using is ISO-8859-1 which is what they mention in their documentation. The problem arises in the French text in the document. The document they send me displays the encoding for the e acute symbol for a french word as <e9>, while the xml i send back to them, for the same symbol, displays the encoding as <c3><a9>. Hence even though we are using the same encoding method and the result string is identical the encoded xml is different in both the cases and they send me back an error response.
>
> Is there anyway i can view what the encoded text looks like in xml or how i can change it to satisfy the third party API?

Note that what you're sending is indeed UTF-8, not ISO-8859-1. If the
recipient wants ISO-8859-1 (IMHO it's a broken design to require a
specific encoding, in particular if it's not an XML standard encoding),
then just instruct the XML serializer to generate ISO (most serializers
allow to specify the output encoding).

Julian