Altova Mailing List Archives

Quotation Marks in XPath

From: "Victor Sumskoy" <victor.sumskoy[nospam]@--------.--->
To: NULL
Date: 1/9/2004 4:14:00 PM
Hi, All
I need dynamically create query to find a 'name' in 'contacts' using
SelectSingleNode.
Sample XML:
<contacts>
    <contact name="John Doe"/>
    <contact name="John &qout;bad&quot; Doe"/>
    <contact name="John &qout;bad&quot; Mc'Doe"/>
</contacts>
My query looks like this (I use VB):
query = "//contact[@name=""" + name + """]"
which normally gives correct results:
if name = "John Doe"
query = //contact[@name="John Doe"] will work OK.

If name = John "bad" Doe, query brakes because of extra quotation mark:
query = //contact[@name="John "bad" Doe"]
Attempt to escape the quotation mark, replacing it with &quot;
query = //contact[@name="John &quot;bad&quot; Doe"] produces no results (not
found)

I'm sure that solution was found many years ago, I just can not find it
myself.
How to properly escape Quotations Marks (both double and single) in XPath?

Thanks in advance,
Victor Sumskoy