Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: trying to get xslt to work with xml and xsd

From: Mark Johnson <102334.12@----------.--->
To: NULL
Date: 8/28/2003 10:56:00 PM
Oleg Tkachenko <oleg@N...> wrote:

>Mark Johnson wrote:
>
>> Exactly. And you have to do so, explicitly. A default ns will 'hide'
>> nodes from XPath.

>Well, that's a pure sophistics. Equally one can say "Changing namespace
>form A to B hides nodes from XPath". And that's also true actually.

Not if you change A to B in expressions attempting to retrieve nodes
in A or B. But you can't change anything, there's nothing you can do,
to get nodes in a default ns - correct? They're 'hidden', and can't be
found. The solution is that they literally need an explicit prefix, or
one has to remove the declaration of a default ns in that scope.

That's why I wondered - why and when is a default ns ever used, given
that problem?

>Well, for readability or to save couple of kilobytes or for backward
>compatibility with namespace-unaware legacy code (XHTML case). Many
>people really believe life would be easier without default namespaces,
>but that's too late to change anything.

Of course, a simple solution - XPath 2.0 could be written to handle
default namespaces.