Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: Hierarchical query

From: Joe Kesselman <keshlam-nospam@-------.--->
To: NULL
Date: 6/13/2007 3:38:00 PM

Vadim Tropashko wrote:
> I have trouble comprehending this line
>
> (2)    ../../statements//assignment/var[string() = $dvar/string()]
>
> should I read it left to right?

Find a good tutorial on XPath. Yes, it evaluates left to right. From the
context node, find its parent; find the parent of that; find its
<statements> children; find their <assignment> descendants (at any
depth), find their <var> children whose string value is the same as ...
hmmm. actually I'm not sure what $dvar/string() was intended to mean,
and I don't have time right now to check that.

--
() ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Joe Kesselman