Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: New file format design

From: Joe Kesselman <keshlam-nospam@-------.--->
To: NULL
Date: 6/15/2006 4:25:00 PM

mathieu wrote:
> 1. If I have a choice: Element or Attribute ?

This is a FAQ. What's the intent of the datum (modifier or content), and
will it ever in the future want to be structured (in which case it has
to be an element).

> 2. Do I need to define my own file version (maybe as the first XML
> element) ?

Up to you. Will you ever need to distinguish versions?

> 3. Do I need to provide a DTD or XML schema ?

Up to you. Do you want the parser to help confirm the data is reasonably
structured and contains plausible values? Do you need to mark some data
as having particular kinds of meanings (ID is the obvious one that has
to be defined at this level)? Do you want to define named entities
(supported only in DTDs, and *probably* best avoided these days although
folks still debate that)?

--
() ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Joe Kesselman