Altova Mailing List Archives

Display an existing XML in browser as readable without modifying it.

From: "rk" <rajesh.kamisetty@-----.--->
To: NULL
Date: 6/14/2006 10:52:00 AM

I have the following library.xml file coming from a system, this can't
be modified.
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="no"?>
<library>
<book>
<name>
Discover America
</name>
</book>
</library>
I need to be able to display the above file in browser in readable
format. Here is the library.xsl.
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
xmlns:tns="http://www.ibm.com/websphere/crossworlds/2002/HierarchicalProperties"
xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format">
<xsl:template match="/">
  <head>
  </head>
        <th>Book</th>
      <xsl:for-each select="library/book">
            <xsl:value-of select="name"/>
      </xsl:for-each>
      </xsl:for-each>
</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet

How can I present library.xml in readable format in browser without
modifying the xml file itself?

I have come across two options, which don't work.

1) Add <?xml-stylesheet to refer library.xsl in library.xml. This
doesn't work because I don't want to modify library.xml

2) Create a new file libary_read.xml with the following content and
open it in browser.

<!DOCTYPE apage [
 <!ENTITY library SYSTEM "library.xml">
]>
<readlibrary>
  &library;
</readlibrary>

And modify library.xsl   to have   <xsl:for-each
select="readlibary/library/book">

When I open this file in InternetExplorer, I get the following error.
The standalone attribute cannot be used in external entities. Error
processing resource 'file:///C:/Documents and Settings/...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="no"?>

I think having standalone="no" in library.xml is forcing me out of this
option. If I remove standalone="no" it works. Since I can't modify
library.xml, this option also gets ruled out.

Regards,
Rajesh Kamisetty