Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: XSLT: xsl:variable : help!

From: Morris M. Keesan <keesan@----.--.--->
To: NULL
Date: 11/26/2004 12:22:00 AM
On 25 Nov 2004 22:19:19 GMT, richard@c... (Richard Tobin)
wrote:
>In article <co5lev$g9n$1@n...>,
>Tjerk Wolterink  <tjerk@w...> wrote:
>
>>But do all xml parses and xslt processor work with both &gt; and > ?
>>I mean: is it valid to use > in stead of &gt;
>
>Yes, in the context of attribute values there is no difference between
>the two.
>
>The only case where there is a difference is when the > could terminate
>a CDATA section: ]]> is different from ]]&gt; (and ]]> is disallowed in
>content when it doesn't end a CDATA section).

But, just to be clear, in a CDATA section, &gt; is 4 characters, not
one, and if you have the character sequence "]]>", you can't represent
it in a CDATA section.  You'd have to end the CDATA, and put part of
that sequence in plain parsed character data, or in an adjacent CDATA.
--
Morris M. Keesan -- keesan@a...