Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: Hopefully simple XPath question

From: jgt@-----.--- (--- --------)
To: NULL
Date: 11/13/2004 1:34:00 AM
"Joris Gillis" <roac@p...> wrote in message news:<opshc973seyf9v9r@n...>...
> >> In Xpath, it would be: count(preceding::section)
> >
> > That doesn't quite do it. I ended up with this
> >
> > <xsl:value-of select="1+count(ancestor::SECTION/preceding-sibling::SECTION)"/>
>
> That's strange, I would have sworn that "count(ancestor::SECTION/preceding-sibling::SECTION)" gave the same result as "count(preceding::section)" in your xml (or what I understood of it).

It went wrong in the second CHAPTER. Given document structure below,
1+count(preceding::SECTION) gave

CHAPTER
   SECTION Items numbered 1.1.x
   SECTION Items numbered 1.2.x
   SECTION Items numbered 1.3.x
CHAPTER
   SECTION Items numbered 2.4.x

Where I wanted

CHAPTER
   SECTION Items numbered 1.1.x
   SECTION Items numbered 1.2.x
   SECTION Items numbered 1.3.x
CHAPTER
   SECTION Items numbered 2.1.x

> The '+1' change is logic off course.

Just making it 1 based rather then 0 based