Altova Mailing List Archives

XML in an embeded platform

From: jcpmont@-------.---
To: NULL
Date: 3/3/2004 12:32:00 PM
Hi everyone,
I am working on a java program (running on a PC) that will talk
through TCP/IP to some embedded devices running VXworks. I need to
send and receive messages from the devices, something simple like a
command with 5 to 10 values. Then wait for some kind of answer that
could also have 5-10 values. I need to have enough flexibility to add
more commands in the future.

I though XML could be used for that. XML is kind of a natural for
java, but I am not so sure for the embedded programs. They are
relatively small and I do not really want to have the program double
in size just because I added an XML parser. My question is:

Should I use XML? The alternative is to do some custom parsing of the
message string.
If yes, where can I get a small C library that will do the XML parsing
on the embedded system. I do not really need all the trimmings (like
DTD, etc).

Thanks
JC