Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: Using XSL to delete fixed text in arbitrary elements

From: "Dimitre Novatchev [MVP XML]" <dnovatchev@-----.--->
To: NULL
Date: 2/17/2004 10:24:00 PM
"Fred Bartlett" <vepxistqaosani@n...> wrote in message
news:ff30b903.0402171243.486288f9@p......
> Given this:
> and this:
> How can I delete 'Stuff' from both? 'Stuff' always appears in the
> content of <a> and before the tag <d>, but there's no way to tell
> which of several (approx 6, not just two) alternatives appears before
> 'Stuff'.
>
> Thanks,
> Fred

Both of the above are not well-formed xml documents.

Probably you meant:

instead of

and

instead of

The wanted transformation is a simple override of the identity rule:

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"

 <xsl:output omit-xml-declaration="yes"/>

  <xsl:template match="@* | node()">
    <xsl:copy>
    </xsl:copy>
  </xsl:template>

  <xsl:template match="text()[.='Stuff'][following-sibling::*[self::d]]"/>

</xsl:stylesheet>

In the transformation above an empty rule is added (,which effectively
ignores or discards or "deletes" all matching nodes from the generated
output) matching a text node, whose value is the string 'Stuff' and whose
immediate following sibling is a "d" element.

The results for both xml source documents (corrected to be wellformed) are
respectively:

and

Hope this helped.

Cheers,