Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: XML representation of regular expressions

From: ptjm@--------.--- (------- -- ------)
Date: 11/16/2003 8:22:00 PM
In article <eoCtb.401422$6C4.268056@pd7tw1no>,
Scott Zuyderduyn <scottzed@h...> wrote:

% "Patrick TJ McPhee" <ptjm@i...> wrote in message
% news:bp37s9$o76$2@n......

% > Even the XML schemas spec resisted the temptation to do this, in favour
% > of a compact format.

% described in XML?  And regular expressions can be so arcane, an XML based
% representation might actually be more easily understood if it was done
% properly.  I can understand in the context of having reasonably compact XML
% Schemas, but it's still a surprise to me that I couldn't find a "mainstream"
% regex spec.

I'm not disagreeing with you. My feeling is that the schema working group
had no interest in creating a reasonably compact xml representation for
schemas, so my guess is that if they didn't take it on, nobody has. It may
be just a matter of time. It seems like there are a lot of people
expressing context-free grammars in XML.

Patrick TJ McPhee
East York  Canada

These Archives are provided for informational purposes only and have been generated directly from the Altova mailing list archive system and are comprised of the lists set forth on Therefore, Altova does not warrant or guarantee the accuracy, reliability, completeness, usefulness, non-infringement of intellectual property rights, or quality of any content on the Altova Mailing List Archive(s), regardless of who originates that content. You expressly understand and agree that you bear all risks associated with using or relying on that content. Altova will not be liable or responsible in any way for any content posted including, but not limited to, any errors or omissions in content, or for any losses or damage of any kind incurred as a result of the use of or reliance on any content. This disclaimer and limitation on liability is in addition to the disclaimers and limitations contained in the Website Terms of Use and elsewhere on the site.