Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: XML representation of regular expressions

From: ptjm@--------.--- (------- -- ------)
To: NULL
Date: 11/16/2003 8:22:00 PM
In article <eoCtb.401422$6C4.268056@pd7tw1no>,
Scott Zuyderduyn <scottzed@h...> wrote:

% "Patrick TJ McPhee" <ptjm@i...> wrote in message
% news:bp37s9$o76$2@n......

% > Even the XML schemas spec resisted the temptation to do this, in favour
% > of a compact format.

% described in XML?  And regular expressions can be so arcane, an XML based
% representation might actually be more easily understood if it was done
% properly.  I can understand in the context of having reasonably compact XML
% Schemas, but it's still a surprise to me that I couldn't find a "mainstream"
% regex spec.

I'm not disagreeing with you. My feeling is that the schema working group
had no interest in creating a reasonably compact xml representation for
schemas, so my guess is that if they didn't take it on, nobody has. It may
be just a matter of time. It seems like there are a lot of people
expressing context-free grammars in XML.
--

Patrick TJ McPhee
East York  Canada