Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: Another Noob

From: "Kimanzi Mati" <matikm@-------------.--->
To: NULL
Date: 9/29/2003 8:33:00 PM

> 1) What types of projects should use XML?

You can use XML for project such as:
1) Transformation of XML data for presentation in web pages.  This enables
you to have multiple views of the same data.  This transformation can be
done with Superx++ or XSLT.

2) Integration between disparate systems where the systems agree on an XML
definition.  This can either be loosely determined or formalized with DTDs
or XML schema documents.

3) Messaging applications and web services can use Superx++, XML-RPC, SOAP,
etc.  All of which are XML.

> 2) What would be a good project for me to learn/test/refine my XML
> skills on?

Probably one of the easiest types of projects to cut your teeth on might be
to build a series of web pages that use transformation techniques to present
different views of the same data.  This is a small project that offers you
the ability to learn XML in practice.

> 3) What texts and web pages would you suggest for reference?

Try the following:
www.topxml.com
www.emergentlogic.com
http://www.w3schools.com/default.asp