IMPORTANT:
this is not a Support Forum! Experienced users might answer from time to time questions posted here. If you need a professional and reliable answer, or if you want to report a bug, please contact Altova Support instead.

Profile: liberty
About
User Name: liberty
Forum Rank: Newbie
Location Germany
Interests:
Statistics
Number of Posts: 1
[0.01% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
Last 10 Posts
Topic: Extend XML Spy 2013 Eclipse Plugin with Custom View
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 2:21:38 PM
Hi,

we use XML Spy 2013 as Eclipse Plugin within a customer project.
In a current, bigger project we need some enhancements in our eclipse environment.
We need a custom Eclipse View we will develop by ourself that is able to communicate with the XML Spy Plugin especially with the Editor.
(BTW: I know how to extend a perspective with custom views. I devleop Eclipse Plugins since many years )

We plan to extend the XMLSpy-Perspective in Eclipse with one own Eclipse View (as it is possible with the RCP API...)
Within our own custom Eclipse View we plan to do some modifications of an open XML Editor (XML Spy) in the background.
I attached a picture how the view looks like (small prototype).

Some examples:
* We want to insert some XML Tags in the open XML Spy Editor at the curent cursor position...
* We want to replace Strings within the current XML Spy Editor e.g. using RegExp or StyleSheets or whatever...

...all the things we want to do in the background programatically...
I read some documentation of XML Spy and found out that the XML Spy Eclipse Plugin is probable a ComServer...

I read your tutorial and examples at following path... [Home > Programmers' Reference > Application API > Overview > Programming Languages > Java >
I think this is a tutorial to develop a client that run in swing...from scratch...not my way :-)
But there is no hint how I can enhance the xml spy plugin within eclipse especially to communicate with your Editor in Eclipse (com.altova.xmlspyforeclipse.XMLSPYEditor)

I found e.g. the class com.altova.automation.XMLSpy.TextView in your Automation-API who has some interesting functions...but how can I e.g. use that api class within eclipse using your existing environment.

best regards
jk

Use of the Altova User Forum(s) is governed by the Altova Terms of Use.