IMPORTANT:
this is not a Support Forum! Experienced users might answer from time to time questions posted here. If you need a professional and reliable answer, or if you want to report a bug, please contact Altova Support instead.

Profile: suska
About
User Name: suska
Forum Rank: Newbie
Location Chicago, IL
Interests:
Statistics
Number of Posts: 5
[0.03% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
Last 10 Posts
Topic: Flat file as Input to FlexText
Posted: Tuesday, June 3, 2014 2:12:01 PM
Interesting. The reason we are trying to get this process into compilable code is because we've been using FlowForce and having nothing but problems. We have several jobs that simply "lock up" and there is no way to kill them without rebooting the entire server. We have had a ticket in with Altova for weeks with little resolution and end up having to reboot the FlowForce server daily (sometimes multiple times a day), which is just unacceptable.

Here are some of its shortcoming from my point of view:

* it doesn't provide enough support for querying files out on an FTP without having to write a custom routine. I would like to be able to get a list of all files out on an FTP that conform to a particular naming convention and then retrieve all of them. You can do this with local / network accessible files but there is no wildcard support for querying an FTP.

* There is no effective way to stop / restart a job once it's running.

* There is no way to script or copy a job. This prevents use of change control and makes backup of jobs themselves difficult.

* Job logging is cumbersome at best. No way to easily pull up a time range of logs. We have jobs that run every 5 minutes, so even pulling up an entire day can time out.

* Feature to capture / send detailed error messages back is poorly documented and (at least before SP1 / haven't retried) didn't work. Only cited within an example in the documentation.

* Documentation is sketchy.
Topic: Sort with C# Generated Code
Posted: Monday, June 2, 2014 8:32:33 PM
We have a map that needs to sort some text data, but when I try to generate C# code I am getting a message that sort components are not supported in C# (or any of the other code generation languages for that matter).

I tried substituting the sort with a group by, but it doesn't seem to actually sort the data / output.

Any work-around besides writing our own custom sort routine?

Topic: Flat file as Input to FlexText
Posted: Monday, June 2, 2014 8:28:52 PM
How did you generate C# code for a sort? We are using the sort function (from the button on the toolbar) but when I go to generate C#, I get a message that "Sort components are not supported in C#".

Thanks!
Topic: Stop Runaway FlowForce Job
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 9:21:34 PM
We have a FlowForce job which called a shell command that stopped functioning almost 20 hours ago, but FlowForce still shows the job executing. We had another job do this a while back and could not find a way to gracefully stop it.

Stopping/restarting FlowForce services caused the files it was using to then error out in FlowForce with an error that the files were in use by another process. No other processes were hitting the files and there we no locks on the shares from a Windows OS point of view.

We literally could not get FlowForce to resume processing on these files until we did an after-hours reboot of the server.

I cannot find anything in the documentation about STOPPING an executing job. Does anyone know of a way to stop a FlowForce job.

Thanks in advance.
Topic: How to use Step Results
Posted: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 8:47:53 PM
We tried creating a very simple job with a map step designed to fail / throw an exception, followed by an "on error" to send an email with

{content(stdout(failed-step()))}

In the message body. However, the email never sends and the job is failing with these messages. Any clues?

2014-04-15 15:25:02 WARNING Step 1 of job /public/TEST/ExceptionTest.job: /public/TEST/ExceptionTest.job failed with error: no failed step
2014-04-15 15:25:02 ERROR Step MapForce.Mapping completed with status: 1 more

Use of the Altova User Forum(s) is governed by the Altova Terms of Use.