IMPORTANT:
this is not a Support Forum! Experienced users might answer from time to time questions posted here. If you need a professional and reliable answer, or if you want to report a bug, please contact Altova Support instead.

Import XML to Authentic? Options · View
linnium
Posted: Tuesday, January 6, 2015 12:23:05 AM

I'm trying to use Authentic to edit an XML file and it only seems to open SPS file formats. Is there a way to import it or at least convert it to SPS so I can edit it? Thanks?!
vlad
Posted: Tuesday, January 6, 2015 9:15:42 AM

Authentic does actually edit XML files, but only with design from SPS files, which need to be created with StyleVision.

If you are looking for pure XML editor, you need to use XMLSpy instead.
linnium
Posted: Tuesday, January 6, 2015 6:21:42 PM

Hi Vlad,

I'm not looking for a pure XML editor. I have a process of pulling data from an Excel document and putting it into Authentic. The issue is that I have to move the data over cell by cell, which is extremely time consuming. I figured since I cannot open an Excel doc in Authentic (as far as I know), I thought saving it as XML and then opening it in Authentic, making my edits, and then saving it as XML again would do the trick. It's frustrating that I cannot just copy the entire spreadsheet and paste it into Authentic.

Any advice?
vlad
Posted: Friday, January 9, 2015 6:19:41 PM

I think you expect from Authentic something which it was not built for.

The idea behind Authentic is to enable users edit XML in a "browser view", i.e. not see all those tags, but work in a word-like interface. But, for this to work, you need to tell Authentic how actually you want to display XML visually, because there are millions of way how people see their data and because XML is completely open, i.e. the same tag will mean one thing to me and another thing to you - there is a concept of SPS files - you take StyleVision and "explain" how you want to present XML to user. Authentic does not have any default rendering - it always wants to know how to render via SPS.

Hope this helps.